Read moreShow less
The viola da terra Artimúsica VA00S is the Terceira island version of this typical instrument from the Azores. Made in Portugal.
The viola da terra Artimúsica VA00S is one of the most representative chordophones of the folklore of the Azorean islands. It is a central instrument in the archipelago's traditional festivities and as an accompaniment to popular melodies and poems.
Related to braguesa, amarantina and similar violas, taken from the mainland to the Azorean islands in the 15th century, it ended up developing in a particular way due to geographic isolation.
The top of Artimúsica VA00S is in spruce and the bottom and sides are in simple solid walnut. The neck is mahogany, with a panga panga fretboard. The decoration is simple: it has a round mouth and minimalist decor.
The Artimúsica VA00S da Terceira viola da terra has a very characteristic sound created by its six orders of strings, three doubles and three triples. The tuning of the viola da terra da Terceira are, from high to low:
- Mi4 (unison)
- Si3 (unison)
- Sol3 (unison)
- D3 (with the second and third strings tuned in unison and an octave higher)
- A2 (with the second string tuned one octave higher and the third string tuned two octaves higher)
- E2 (with the second string tuned one octave higher and the third string tuned two octaves higher)
- The sound of the Artimúsica VA00S is rich, well articulated and with good presence, perfect for playing alone or together, faithfully respecting the traditional sound.
Founded in September 1992, Artimúsica is one of the reference brands in the craft construction of traditional Portuguese instruments. It is a family business, continued by masters Manuel Carvalho and José Carvalho, who still follow the construction method started by their grandfather, master Joaquim José Machado. Each instrument is a true work of art, a unique piece, full of tradition.
The viola da terra Artimúsica VA00S is for musicians passionate about the national musical tradition who like to play Portuguese music with instruments manufactured in Portugal.
- Back and sides: solid walnut, simple
Portuguese traditional instruments can present differences to the picture
shown in the website due to it's artisanal manufacturing,
specially in it's decoration.